Here is a partial list of possible medical causes of feather picking, Feather picking has many causes, or combinations of causes. The place to start is by having a check up with an avian veterinarian.
- Too much vitamin supplementation
- Liver, Kidney and Pancreatic disease
- Fungal Infections
- Protozoal Infestations
- Bacterial Infections
- Zinc, Lead or Copper Toxicity
- Sensitivity to cleaning agents
- Allergies-food or other
- Exposure to smoke and nicotine
Feather picking cannot be properly addressed until all possible medical problems have been eliminated first. Only then can the pet owner begin to work on behaviour problems which might be linked to the picking. If you have a feather picking bird, please consult your avian veterinarian for advice.